Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Conversational Connections

When just beginning my professional career in public accounting, I often found an awkward rift existed between me and my middle-aged colleagues when making small talk at a happy hour or in the office lunch room. They spoke of kids, houses, and current events. My world still revolved around parents, friends, and college experiences. I wanted to be more informed and well-rounded when it came to talking with colleagues and clients. Over time I stumbled upon a few sources that have provided me with countless points of interest and a deeper understanding of the world around me. Here are a few of my favorites:



  • Bloomberg BusinessWeek Magazine - I began subscribing to BusinessWeek when the thousands of airline points I had accrued during my first year traveling as an auditor were about to expire. At first I was a casual reader, but I soon began reading each issue cover to cover. By staying abreast of general trends and events in the global economy, I had a deeper insight into the challenges facing my clients as well as my firm. BusinessWeek always provided me with the latest business news and trends, contributing to my discussions with partners and managers over the dinner table, in the airport, or before a meeting.


  • National Public Radio (NPR) - You're probably thinking that NPR is only for gray-haired classical music fans. Before you make a snap judgment, try listening to one of the many fascinating news magazine shows on NPR, like Marketplace, The World, or Morning Edition. Thanks to NPR, I'm constantly learning about world cultures, economic drivers, political issues, and public affairs. I started listing to NPR because some of the most interesting and well-rounded people I know were avid listeners. I too got hooked, and always have new insight on just about any issue to share with others.

  • Some of my most recent favorite authors/books are Malcolm Gladwell, author of bestsellers The Tipping Point, Outliers, and Blink, as well as Freakonomics and SuperFreakonomics by co-authors Stephen Dubner and Steven Levitt. The authors weave economic principles, public health statistics, crime rates, and a host of other random data-driven theories to answer some fascinating questions about human nature. The ideas presented, as complex as they are intriguing, make for a quick read. I couldn't put these books down, and read each one in a week or less. I still reference them frequently in conversations, and the contagion of their ideas effortlessly encourages many of my friends and colleagues to read them as well. I can guarantee hours of discussion and debate with friends and co-workers after reading any one of these books.

While many people are gifted with self-confidence and an ability to talk to anyone about anything, the majority of us are not. So if you are like me, and sometimes find it awkward to make small talk with co-workers, clients, or acquaintances, the above sources can go a long way in providing interesting and memorable material. Before long, the people around you might be saying of you, "he/she's one of the most well-informed people I know."

No comments:

Post a Comment